Penn Treaty Park is a small park on the western bank of the Delaware river, in the Philadelphia neighborhood of Fishtown. It is located at the intersection of Columbus Avenue and Beach street, just off Columbus Avenue.
- Philadelphia’s only true waterfront park
- In 1683 the land that is now the park was part of the Lenape village of Shackamaxon
- This was the year that William Penn famously entered into a treaty of peace with a chief of the Lenape
- This peace between the Lenape and Penn’s successors would endure almost a century, until 1782
- Penn Treaty Park was officially established in 1893
- Significantly enlarged during the 1980s by annexing a neighboring former industrial site, the park is now several acres