Every year the NAR (National Association of Realtors) publishes a yearly report that covers the demographics, preferences, and experience of buyers and sellers.
Here are some findings in the 2015 home seller survey:
- First-time buyers made up 32% of all home buyers, down from 33% last year.
- The typical buyer was 44 years old and had a median household income of $86,100
- 67% of buyers were married couples, 15% were single females, 9% were single males, and 7% were unmarried couples.
- 13% of home buyers purchased a multi-generational home to take care of aging parents.
- 30% indicated the primary reason for purchasing a home was the desire to own a home of their own.
- Buyers continue to see purchasing a home as a good financial investment. 86% reported they view a home purchase as a good investment.
- 51% of recent buyers were very satisfied with their recent home buying process, up from 56% a year ago.
- 2015 Profile of Home Buyers and Sellers Highlights
BTW winter is a great time to look for your new home. Yes inventory is lower but there isn’t much competition and sellers are motivated.